I love “green”smoothies. For me they are a fast, easy and yummy way to consume a lot of good
Scan the bookshelves or your favorite websites and you’ll find hundreds of food and supplement
combinations for different kinds of smoothies: energizers, calorie burners, rejuvenators, memory
boosters, healing tonics, libido enhancers, bone and muscle-builders, detoxifiers and more!
“Green” smoothies, however, are generally made a particular way for maximum effectiveness and
Here a few tips to consider when making green smoothies:
1. Prepare and drink your green smoothies early in morning to jump start your daily nutrition.
(In my case, the smoothie usually is my breakfast!)
2.Try drinking two or three cups of green smoothies daily so that you will consume enough greens to
nourish your body with chlorophyll, phytonutrients and a host of beneficial nutrients.
3. If you make a large smoothie, drink a glass in morning and then seal and refrigerate the leftover
drink to have as a meal or a snack later in the day.
4. Consult a good green smoothie recipe book or website to find green smoothie recipes and
5. Use fresh, organic, thoroughly-washed fruits and vegetables to make green smoothies.
6. Frozen, organic fruits can be used as well for colder smoothies.
7. Alter the fruits you use in your daily smoothies for maximum nutrition.
8. Rotate the types of greens you use in your smoothies on a weekly basis to limit alkaloid
build up in your system.
9. If adding water or ice cubes, use filtered or spring water.
10. Some green smoothie recipes I have seen call for coconut water or rejuvelac.
11. Keep your smoothies simple.
12. Don’t add too many ingredients to your smoothie because this might make it more
difficult to digest and it may also reduce the health benefits derived from your smoothie.
13. Avoid adding sugar, dairy or large volumes of seeds, oils, nuts, supplements or
other ingredients to green smoothies.
14. Drink your smoothies by themselves –– not as part of meal.
15. Slowly sip or “chew” your smoothie to digest it thoroughly.
Are You Ready to Make a Green Smoothie?
Now that you’ve read these tips, are you ready to try the delicious, nutrient-packed
green smoothie recipe below?
The high fruit content makes this a tasty, sweet ‘starter’ smoothie.
You can reduce the amount of fruit you include as you get used to the strong taste of
This recipe will make about a blender-full.
I kick start most of my mornings with variations on this basic recipe.
Raspberries are a rich source of vitamin C, with 30 mg per serving of 1 cup (about 50% daily value),
manganese (about 60% daily value) and dietary fiber (30% daily value). B vitamins 1–3, folic acid,
magnesium, copper, and iron.
They are high in dietary fiber — among the highest known in whole foods, up to 20% fiber per
Pineapple is an excellent source of manganese (76% Daily Value (DV) in a one cup serving) and vitamin C
(131% DV per cup serving).
Kale is high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium. It is a source of the carotenoids,
lutein and zeaxanthin, and contains sulforaphane, a chemical with potent anti-cancer properties.
Spinach is rich in antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, magnesium, manganese,
folate, betaine, iron, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, vitamin B6, folic acid, copper, protein, phosphorus,
zinc, niacin, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids.
Oranges are a good source of Vitamin C.
Bananas make an excellent base for your smoothie, while providing potassium and other nutrients.
Fruity Banana Berry Green Smoothie
1-2 Ripe Bananas
1/2 cup Raspberries
1/2 cup Pineapple
1 Orange, peeled
4 Kale Leaves
4 Spinach Leaves (or a cup of smaller baby spinach leaves)
1 cup Filtered or Spring Water
Wash the fruits and vegetables.
Pat dry the vegetables.
Peel and chop the pineapple, orange and bananas.
Add the fruits, then the vegetables to your blender. (I use a Vitamix and it pulverizes everything in jiffy!)
Add spring or filtered water to the pitcher, as desired.
Pour into a large glass and enjoy!
Save and seal leftover smoothie in a mason jar.
Refrigerate and drink more later.
What is your favorite green smoothie recipe? Share your recipes and comments below.
Sharing is caring. If you like this smoothie recipe, feel free to share this post for friends and fans.