Recovering from an eating disorder can be challenging for anyone. Even when an individual is enrolled in a treatment program and actively working toward recovery, it can seem like an uphill journey. For this reason, the best eating disorder treatment programs include professional and family eating disorder support.
What Is Eating Disorder Support?
Eating disorder support services are designed to provide clients with the emotional and psychological support they need as they work through eating disorder treatment. Support for clients in eating disorder treatment programs may be provided in the form of individual counseling, family counseling and/or support group meetings. Programs may also encourage clients to spend time with friends and family for additional support. Each of these different forms of support provides unique benefits for clients.
Benefits of Support Groups
- Diminished feelings of isolation: People who are enrolled in eating disorder treatment often feel isolated and alone. However, when they are able to interact with others in similar situations, they are less likely to experience these negative feelings.
- A chance to talk openly: Because all of the members of an eating disorder support group are going through similar, but unique, circumstances, each individual in the group is able to speak openly about his or her feelings without judgment.
- Improved motivation: Everyone involved in eating disorder treatment is actively working toward the goal of recovery. Interacting with one another in a support group environment allows these individuals to motivate each other and encourage positive outcomes.
- Development of better coping skills: Support groups allow clients a chance to learn from one another. While in a support group, clients often develop more effective coping skills and other strategies they can use to stay healthy.
Benefits of Individual Counseling
Recovering from an #eating disorder can be challenging, even when an individual is enrolled in a treatment program and actively working toward recovery. The best eating disorder #treatment programs include professional and family eating disorder #support.Click To Tweet
Individual counseling sessions allow clients enrolled in eating disorder treatment to work one-on-one with an eating disorder therapist. During these sessions, the client is able to express his or her feelings to an experienced therapist who will be able to identify the factors that led to the development of the eating disorder. Once these factors have been identified, the eating disorder therapist can help the client understand and work through each of these factors so he or she can achieve a lasting recovery. Therapists can also look for signs of co-occurring disorders that may require treatment, such as bipolar disorder, depression, body image disorders and other issues.
Benefits of Family Counseling
Family counseling sessions are typically structured to allow individuals enrolled in eating disorder treatment programs to interact with their family members in a safe environment under the supervision of a trained therapist. These sessions offer several benefits for both clients and their family members, including:
- A chance to resolve conflicts: In some cases, clients and their family members have an ongoing conflict that impedes the client’s progress in recovery. Family counseling provides a safe place for clients and their families to work through these issues.
- Educational opportunities for family members: During family counseling sessions, the therapist often takes time to explain certain aspects of eating disorders, treatment and recovery. This can be an invaluable resource for family members as they work to help their loved one through his or her recovery.
- Support from family members: Family counseling sessions give clients a chance to experience the love and support of their family members as they work toward recovery.
Monte Nido is an industry leader in the treatment of eating disorders. Our eating disorder treatment programs always include substantial support for clients. Please contact us to learn more.
Have you or a loved one suffered from an eating disorder?
Share your thoughts and comments with us.