What is Mindfulness?
The Greater Good Science Center defines Mindfulness as “maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment.” In order to successfully practice mindfulness, it’s important to cultivate a calm and non-judgmental state of mind.
A form of positive aging, mindful aging provides older adults with a means of coping with the challenges and changes that are a natural part of getting older.
What is Mindful Aging?
“Mindful aging” promotes the use of mindfulness among adults aged 65+. A form of positive aging, mindful aging provides older adults with a means of coping with the challenges and changes that are a natural part of getting older.
How Does Mindfulness Help Us Age Well?
Mindful aging can be quite beneficial for both the body and the mind. Some specific benefits include:
- Better sleep quality
- Improved cognitive function i.e. improved memory retention, alertness and focus
- Improved ability to self-regulate emotions
- Fewer feelings of stress and anxiety
- Lower blood pressure
- Less risk of becoming depressed
- Improved coping skills for chronic illnesses
5 Ways to Incorporate Mindfulness into Your Daily Routine
- Dedicate at least ten minutes per day practicing mindful meditation.
- When feeling anxious about something, do your best to accept it and then let it go.
- Eat a balanced diet, keep a regular sleep schedule, and exercise a few times a week.
- Make new friends by joining community groups.
- In times of stress, take a short mindful pause during which you focus solely on your breath.
Mindfulness Tip: In times of stress, take a short mindful pause during which you focus solely on your breath.
Learn More About Mindful Aging
If you are curious about mindful aging and would like to find out more, then you should read the below infographic from Be Independent Home Care. This comprehensive guide offers a good introduction to the topic of mindful aging and provides some pointers on how to include mindfulness in your daily routine.
Check out this infographic to discover more today.
“PIN & SHARE”
Share your thoughts and comments with us.