Many of us spend eight hours or more working in office buildings.
If you are a workaholic like I was, you may be there for 10-12 hours per day.
Sure your office may appear to be clean and well-designed, but think about how closed-up
your office is.
You likely can’t open the windows and don’t have much access to fresh air unless you actually
leave the building.
But trapping all that air that’s inside the building, as well as anything that makes its way into
the closed walls, can cause more than just stale air.
Those trapped toxins can actually be leading to something called sick building syndrome,
Working in an enviroment that exposes you to chemical toxins on a regular basis–including
toxins from cleaning products, building materials, printers and copy machines, pollen, mold,
bacteria, and more–may result in sick building syndrome.
SBS manifests itself as headaches or itchy skin, among other troublesome symptoms.
“The Environmental Protection Agency
estimates that one in four new or
renovated indoor buildings in the U.S.
may be classified as “sick buildings.”
Just because those toxins are in the space doesn’t mean you have to accept them.
Keeping air grilles clean and the refrigerator free of mold are two options—but there are
many more actions that you and your employer can take as well.
The valuable infographic below will help you learn the consequences of toxic workplaces,
sick building syndrome (SBS), factors responsible for SBS, and what to do about a toxic
Use this information to better understand SBS and to find out how to combat it!
Do you think your office is making you sick?
What actions are you going to take to deal with this problem?
Share your thoughts and comments with us.