Brushing your teeth only is not sufficient to remove germs and bacteria from them and keep them strong and healthy. You need to go further and floss your teeth to remove any hidden specs of food or germs that may be hidden between your teeth for proper dental care. This is what dental floss is all about. You insert filaments or a string between your teeth to remove leftover food particles and plaque.
You can add dental floss to your daily oral hygiene routine. It is one of the best home treatments for plaque removal. Flossing your teeth will not only improve your dental health but also brighten your smile. A beautiful smile goes a long way to boost your confidence and give you a desirable look.
Benefits of Dental Floss
- Removing plaque from your teeth caused by food particles that have stayed in your teeth over time and attract bacteria. Bacteria can destroy the enamel of your tooth and dental floss prevents this.
- Whitening your teeth. Dental floss can be used as a secondary whitening tool for your teeth. When you use waxed dental floss alongside mouthwash that has whitening agents and baking soda, you will be able to whiten your teeth.
- Giving you healthy gums. Because dental floss removes plaque from your teeth, your gums will remain healthy and become brighter than before.
- Preventing bad breath. Food particles stuck between your teeth decompose and cause bad breath. Bad breath can destroy your relationship with people close to you and give you low self-esteem. Dental floss will keep your breath fresh, which will boost your confidence.
- Improving your overall health. With dental floss, you can avoid diseases gingivitis, which is the initial stage of gum disease. Your oral health contributes to your overall health hence dental floss will ensure you achieve overall health.
Types of Dental Floss
Many floss brands exist on the market and your choice ultimately comes down to your preference. You can consider these factors before you purchase any brand:
This brand is braided and tufted and is ideal for people with braces who are most likely to struggle flossing between braces and bridges. It has rigid ends, which makes it easier for you to floss between your teeth and on the surface. You should use it gently to avoid causing discomfort or trauma.
*Unwaxed or waxed
Unwaxed threads work well but tend to wear out when in between your teeth while waxed threads do not easily wear out. Unwaxed threads do not come in flavors while waxed threads come in different flavors and leave your mouth smelling fresh. Waxed threads contain chemicals due to this and if you are looking for a natural product, you should stick to unwaxed threads.
*Natural dental floss
This brand uses unwaxed threads or waxed threads that are made of natural wax sources like jojoba. It is chemical-free. They rely on natural oils to keep your teeth healthy and smelling great like peppermint essential oils. There are other products like monofilaments, multifilaments, whitening dental floss and dental tape.
You should take good care of your oral hygiene by including dental floss in your routine. Dental floss guarantees you healthy teeth and gums and boosts your oral hygiene. You know your teeth are healthy when you use dental floss.
What are your favorite dental care tips?
Share your thoughts and comments with us.
“PIN & SHARE”