You have a baby boy, congratulations! Parenthood has a lot of journeys that you must go through and encounter, most of which are a normal part of growing up. One of the surgeries that a baby boy has to go through is circumcision. Circumcision refers to the act of removing the foreskin of a boy’s penis, which is this piece of skin that is covering the topmost part of the same. This article presents you with the tips to keep you guided when you are planning to circumcise your baby boy.
“If you choose to have your baby boy
circumcised early, you should be
well-informed and well-prepared.”
1. Ask the doctor about the aftercare procedure
A circumcision is just an outpatient procedure done at a hospital, such as Circumcision Manchester Clinic. After your circumcision, your baby will need around seven to ten days to recover. For a baby that will turn fussy, and who does not know how to care for himself, this timeframe is relatively long. Hence, as the parent and primary caregiver, it is best for you to be aware of the necessary aftercare that has to be done to make the healing faster and better.
Ask your doctor how to handle any of the following common after-effects:
- Difficulties with urination
Do remember to ask as well about the primary care for your baby’s incision around the affected area. You should learn how to regularly clean and care for the infected area of your baby’s penis so that you can avoid any possible infections from occurring. Here is a basic background as to how you can care for your baby’s wound:
Whenever you change your baby’s diaper, change the dressing as well. Be sure to apply a small amount of petroleum jelly on the affected area. Petroleum jelly can avoid the friction of the diaper rubbing against your baby’s penis, which can make the sensation of pain feel even worse.
2. Inform your doctor about your baby and family’s medical background
Albeit minor, circumcision is still a procedure that will require the performing surgeon to inject anesthesia to numb your baby’s penis and the surrounding area. Just as is the case with surgery for adults, you will need to inform your doctor in Manchester about the medical history of your baby, and your family. The more that you talk about it, the more mentally prepared you are as well for your baby’s surgery.
It is essential for your performing doctor to be aware of the medical background to avoid any unwanted complications or adverse reactions to the anesthesia, for example. Avoiding mistakes is critical, as you are dealing with a highly sensitive baby boy, as compared with performing the same on an adult.
3. Discuss the various methods of circumcision as you decide on one
You may have already done your research as to the various methods of circumcision that are in place. However, before deciding as to what is your most preferred manner of doing the same, be sure to discuss it with your doctor. Your doctor can help you decide as to what may be the best manner.
Examples of methods of circumcision include:
- The Plastibell Technique, which is performed by a separation of the foreskin from the penis with a probe. After this, a plastic bell is placed under the foreskin, and over the tip of your baby’s penis. A suture will be tied around the affected area to avoid excessive bleeding. A scalpel is used to cut off the extra foreskin, while a plastic ring is in place, which will naturally fall off on its own between six to twelve days.
- The Mogen Clamp, which is performed by separating the head of the penis with a probe. The foreskin is removed, and a clamp is used to hold this foreskin so that a scalpel can cut the same.
- The Gomco Clamp, which is performed by inserting a probe to separate the foreskin from the head of the penis. A bell-shaped device holds the head of the penis, so it becomes easier to pull the foreskin and cut the same. A clamp holds the same to reduce blood flow.
What method is the best? There is no one method better or less painful than another. Your choice will be a matter of personal preference after your doctor thoroughly explains the same to you.
4. Bring treats or whatever may comfort your baby
Every child is different, and there are numerous ways of comforting your child as well. Whatever it is that soothes your child, be sure to bring the same. When your baby has a sense of security or a reward with them, they will feel less intimidated by the presence of numerous doctors, and what is happening to them.
A decision to have your baby boy circumcised is a matter of preference, and also dependent on your practices, religion, customs, and beliefs. If you choose to have your baby boy circumcised early, you should be cautious and well prepared. By the time that you sign the consent form in your hospital in Manchester, you should already be equipped with everything that you need to be well prepared for this procedure.
Have you or a loved one had a child circumcised?
Share your thoughts and comments with us.